Monday, April 30, 2012

One missing

So yesterday we went to church. We haven't been going like we should since Wiley passed away.  I should find comfort in going and sometimes all I want to do is go to church.  But when I'm actually there,  my mind is so consumed with Wiley and with all the triggers around me.  Pregnant women, a baby crying, a newborn baby, etc.  I will be praying that it will bring me comfort and those other things will not consume my mind during church.

I have been thinking about Mother's day and not really sure what that day is going to bring for me.  I have been thinking it may be just way too much to be at church that day because the sermon is usually about mothers and they will acknowledge moms and such.  Well, yesterday in the program I notice that Mother's day will be the baby dedication.  Wonderful.  Wonderful for everyone else, yes.  What a better Mother's day gift than to have your baby there and get to dedicate your baby to the Lord.  What a better day to do it too, I mean all the new babies on Mother's day.  Because babies don't die and Mother's day is a glorious day for All mothers.  Right?

But hello, what about me? What about my baby?  I should be able to dedicate my little one month old son on my first Mother's day.  Ugh.  Needless to say (and this is terrible), but I most likely will not be attending church that day. 

After church we went to lunch with my husband's family.  Pretty much the whole family was there so they wanted to get a family picture.  All I could think of was I didn't want to take a family picture.  The whole family is not here.  Wiley is not here.  He should be, but he's not.  Anyway, we took the pictures and I silently smile for them.  I kept thinking there is one missing.  I wondered if anyone else in the family was thinking the same thing.  Was anyone else thinking we are missing one?  Does that run through everyone else's mind, like it does mine?  Probably not. I got in the car with my husband and started crying.  I said, "Wiley should have been in that picture."  He said, "I know. I kept thinking that too."

In every picture we take for the rest of our lives, we will always have one missing.  Even if we have 4 other children, every family picture we will always be missing Wiley.

5 comments:

  1. It's true you will always be missing Wiley, I think that also when I look at our family pictures. I will always know there is a spot for Jonathan, no one else can fill. The children that I have do not take his place and any future children can not replace him. There will always be a spot where he should be. I am so very thankful for the hope of heaven that I will indeed have our whole family together there. I will be saying a prayer for you for mothers day, YOU ARE A MOMMY and deserve lots of love and honor. I pray that on that day you will feel peace and love. Church is difficult for me also and I am the pastors wife. It is emotional for me to be at church. Hugs friend, I will be saying lots of prayers for you in this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my heart aches for you mama. I know the feeling and I know it well. Sucks, big time! I am sooo sooo sooo sorry! I have been trying to figure out how I want to handle mother's day also. I still am at a loss and I don't have long to figure it out! I will be praying for you, so sorry for your loss. Keep Jesus at the center and peace and comfort will be yours. I will be praying...

    Nicki

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry for the loss of your precious Wiley. I can relate to your post of always feeling like someone is missing in the family picture and how traumatic and heartwrenching church can be for blm's--it is so hard!! I have found for me on mother's day to just keep it low key I take flowers to my babies grave and spend time there and just do things like watching the sunrise and enjoying God's nature, that is the only way I have found some sort of peace on that hard holiday. ((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  4. hugs I so know how you feel...I have booked our annual photo shoot for August and am dreading it as we will be one short....I am hoping to have a pin or something that will always have a symbol of her in them. I think I am going to go hiking mothers day..something I never do....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry. I felt the same way in church yesterday. I really wanted to be there but thought more about Jake & was very easily distracted by envy of other mommys with babies there. Long before Jake passed away the thought of baby dedication day left me in tears.... I cant imagine going and watching either. I guess we're special, ours were dedicated early. :) I wish we weren't so special. Hugs and prayers!

    ReplyDelete